Lately, I have been thinking about my personal friendships. I’ve had people to call me friend but those people just treated that as a adjective versus a noun. I say adjective because it seemed like it was their description of me but not really their idea of me. Not everyone who calls you friend is truly a friend.
Friend is a noun not an adjective.
There are people who I have not talked to in several months who I consider a friend. It amazes me that we can go months without talking but pick up the phone and have a conversation as if no time has passed by. I am starting to look at those type of relationships though. Why am I taking those people for granted? I realize that I need to be more intentional about reaching out to people.
I was determined to reach out to a long time friend this week and I am glad that I did. It was so great to catch up.
What qualities make up a true friend?
1. A true friend genuinely loves and accepts you for who you are. A person who is a true friend loves the fact that you were born and accepts you for the person who you are. You don’t have to put on airs or go out of your way to be a part of this person’s life. The friendship is grounded in genuine love.
2. A true friend accepts you but also challenges you. I have come to value people in my life who tell me the truth about me. Sometimes we don’t want to be wrong but a true friend is one who will correct you when you are in the wrong. They love you and desire you to be the best version of yourself.
3. A true friend includes you. If this person has significant events in their life, they include you as part of these events because they value your presence in their life.
4. A true friend defends you in your absence. When another person brings you up in your absence, a true friend will speak up for you. They will uphold your reputation. This is one of the qualities that I value the most in friendships. I’ve been a part of conversations where people have not defended their friends behind their back or they have talked about their friend behind their back. With a friend like that, who needs enemies?
5. A true friend is loyal. They do not change with the season. Even though they might experience changes in life, they are going to stick it out with you.
These are some of the qualities that I look for and appreciate in my friends.
What are some qualities that you look for appreciate in your friends?